Friday, September 7, 2012

Super Easy Crockpot Chicken Chili

Every time I eat chili I think of Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory declaring that chili doesn't have beans in it and therefore what I'm eating is not chili.
 

Well sorry Sheldon tonight I made chili in a crockpot and it was delicious.


For my birthday, my oldest best friend Nicole bought me a beautiful crockpot and in the spirit of our homemade inspired gift giving she also made a crockpot cookbook including her one favorite recipes and space for the ones I would soon create! Thanks Nicole! 
 

Growing up Nicole's mom made the best crockpot dinners and despite my own mothers efforts she never got the hang of that thing. Sorry mom, you know it is true. Don't even get me started on that chicken kale "dinner" you made over the summer. But with more luck I'm excited to start pumping out delicious crockpot meals.


One big thing with crockpots is that as you are cooking this meal for roughly half a day you have to put in a lot of flavor and be be flexible. I'll probably be calling Nicole's mom for tips!

Just try to limit how often you open the pot. If you have a good crock pot it shouldn't burn and by opening you let out the prescious steam that helps cook your delicious meal!


As I've never experimented much with a crockpot, My chili took some tips from Budget Savvy Diva and Jimmy Fallon but this is my own recipe.

If you want a great meal for your family that literally makes itself give this a try. Because even if this recipe isn't "chili" it's delicious, whatever it is....


Super Easy Crockpot Chicken Chili:
Makes 5-6 servings

 
Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, or 5-6 chicken tender pieces
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
3-4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into thin slices
8 oz. can of stewed tomatoes, chili ready or jalepeno variety
8 oz. of canned, frozen, or fresh corn
8.oz can of black beans
1 4 oz. can of tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. olive oil, additional for sauteeing
salt if needed


Optional:
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Fresh lime juice on top
half can of lager beer (requires additional 1 hour HIGH or 2 hours LOW cooking time)

Veggie Tip:

I listed this delicious chili under meatless, vegetarian, and vegan even though I realize there's chicken in it. That's because this recipe is so easily made into all three categories by simply NOT ADDING THE CHICKEN! Simple isn't it?

Directions:

In a large frying pan saute onions and carrots with a drizzle of oil olive until onions become translucent. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add sauteed onions and carrots to crockpot.

In the same pan brown each side of chicken pieces in olive oil until lightly browned (inside will still be raw.) Add chicken to the crockpot.

Add rest of the ingredients to the crockpot and stir. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.  Cook until well mixed and chili has desired thickness. (cook longer for thicker chili) Take chicken pieces out and shred with a knife and fork. Return shredded chiken to the crockpot and mix well.

Serve and enjoy. (p.s. Don't forget to unplug your crockpot!)

My favorite ways to eat crockpot chili:

topped with a little cheddar cheese and sour cream on top of cilantro lime rice


(cook rice according to package instructions, add 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro once boiled. Add 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about half a good lime) and some garlic salt. Stir. Delicious!)


On top of a baked sweet potato with cheddar cheese and fresh tomatoes. OMG!
My baked sweet potato inspiration from Jenn at Peas and Crayons. So worth the hype!


Or just as leftovers!

I hope you enjoyed my budget friendly and healthy crockpot chicken chili! Let me know if you try it and don't forget...it's gluten free too!

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

1 comment: