Wednesday, September 19, 2012

WIAW #43: Stuffed Shells and Spaghetti Squash

I can feel it in the slightly crisp air...it's almost Fall. My favorite season, time of the year, and face it, types of foods are associated with this season.

The only things I don't like about Fall:

  • Winter is Coming. (No Games of Thrones reference intended, seriously.)
  • The tomatoes and basil are dying.
  • Studying.
  • It's too short of a season.

Things I love about Fall:


  • Apples
  • Apple Cider
  • Pumpkins
  • Chilly yet not cold Weather that allows me to wear sweaters and boots
  • My shows are back
  • Squash
  • British Food is again accepted with the frenzy of baked chickens and gravies
  • Everything tastes better in Fall
  • Family Affordable Fun for the College Student!
  • Happiness

Aaron and I went back to Small Town for the weekend so I could work for my internship. The best parts about going back is stocking up on all the things I can only get there. Such as my favorite orchard's honeycrisp apples, the best pure apple cider, spaghetti and acorn squash and all of the clothes for Fall I haven't brought down yet. Not to mention the deliciously fresh tomatoes and peaches I found at a roadside stand in Maryland. Got to love it!
 
Now What I Ate this Week:
 
We are falling into good habits so that means more veggies! And less salt! Those are my goals.
 
BreaKfast with a Capital “K”, why? Just because:



Black Cherry O% Chobani Greek Yogurt with Trader Joe’s granola and a sprinkle of chia seeds at the library. No spoon available, notice the fork I ate my yogurt with?


100 calorie pack of unsalted almonds shared with Aaron (so maybe 40 calories?) Not that I'm counting though.

Lunch:

 
Leftover stuffed shells with spaghetti squash!! Scroll down for the recipe!
Water

Tea time to rid off the sleepies at 3pm:
 

One Honeycrisp apple (from my home supply this weekend) with Justin’s honey almond butter mixed with chia seeds, extra crunchy fiber goodness!
One mug of black tea with a little half-and-half

Dinner:
Crockpot Curry Peach Chicken over quinoa with sautéed asparagus (recipe coming soon, OMG!)
Apple cider

“Dessert:”
Water before bed and a allergy pill (Don’t want you to miss a thing!)
 
Now back to those stuffed shells…. I haven't posted a WIAW recipe in a while so here it goes!

I love squash. I only discovered spaghetti squash a few years ago when I worked at the Orchard. I love it! It's full of vitamins and super low on calories. One thing is that it needs to be with something. Spaghetti squash by itself it can be a little light and leave you feeling really hungry in a few hours (but make you feel really full at first!)


We were low on supplies and ideas for dinner so I used the spaghetti squash and a packet of pre-made frozen stuffed shells my mother gave me as we left the house. Of course, homemade is always better but if you are looking for an easy semi-homemade meal to make for the family on a week night I recommend this method as it is A LOT easier! If you have some time and are expected company, why not make your own shells? Tell me how they turned out!

I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible for busy families who are looking for a nutritious kid-friendly meal.  So the “optional” ingredients listed are things I added and love but you can easily do without if you don’t have them on hand or you think whomever you are cooking for won’t like them. If you don’t add the fresh herbs or wine, try some fresh or frozen spinach to green it up a little.
 


It’s a simple fact that kids, and many adults do not like to eat vegetables, especially those they aren’t familiar with. Spaghetti squash is a great way to add an extra punch of nutrition without the “ewww, what’s that?” face. The squash mixes well into the sauce simply making it heartier without a "squash taste" either. Spaghetti squash is also a great alternative to traditional pasta since the light flesh turns into “pasta” like strands, but I recommend adding a little more substance like some starchier vegetables and/or a protein of some sort. The prep might sound like a lot but it is actually quite simple. Spaghetti squash can be roasted, boiled, or easily microwaved.

I hope you give it try because spaghetti squash might seem strange at first you’ll love it once you try it!

Stuffed Shells with Spaghetti Squash:
  makes six shells with sauce



Ingredients:

6 pre-packaged stuffed shells of your choice (or make your own)
1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (15. oz.)
½ cup mozzarella cheese
Black pepper
1 cup water
Olive oil


Optional:
Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
1/2 cup red wine
10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1/8 cup fresh oregano, chopped

Directions:

Carefully cut the top and bottom of your whole spaghetti squash. Next cut the squash in half length wise. With a knife and spoon cut and scoop out the seeds in the middle (if you want don’t throw these out as they can be roasted like pumpkin seeds!) Place both halves of the squash open side down in a baking dish. Pour 1 cup of water into the dish. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 15-18 minutes until tender. (squash can over lap a little is needed)
Meanwhile preheat your oven for 350 degrees or otherwise stated for your stuffed shells directions.

In a large pan heat a little olive oil over medium-low and begin to sautéed onions and garlic. Once translucent add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, herbs, and wine. Mix well and bring heat to medium allowing the sauce to gently simmer.

Once spaghetti squash is done (you should be able to easily pierce the rind with a fork) carefully take out of the microwave and take off plastic (be careful, steam will come out.) Carefully use fork and begin to scrape the flesh of the squash creating noodle-like strands. Add all of the flesh to the simmering sauce a gently mix. Once mixed together start preparing to bake.

Cover the bottom of a large glass baking dish with a layer of the squash sauce. Place the stuffed shells evenly on top of the sauce, seam side up. Completely cover the shells with the remaining sauce. Top with a little extra chopped herbs if desired.

Bake shells for 35 minutes (or otherwise instructed by shell recipe.) 10-15 minutes before finished sprinkle cheeses on top of the shells and return to oven. Take the dish out once cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. The shells should be cooked completely through.
Serve shells immediately and enjoy your very (secretly) veggie-tastic dish!

Love,
The College Cuisiner



P.S. Don’t forget to enter my create-your-own-chocolate contest from Greater Philadelphia Area Chocolatier, Designs by Francine Artisan Chocolate! You have until September 25th to enter to win 12 pieces of your own fair trade tea-infused chocolate creation!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It sounds absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is I love spaghetti squash I could put it in anything!

      Delete