Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WIAW #41: Labor Day Eats in NYC!

This Labor Day weekend I had the pleasure of going to New York City with my wonderful fiancé, and his fantastic mother, Lisa, and grandmother, Marie. We spent Saturday to Monday in the Big Apple and we had a wonderful time. Marie coming the whole way from Washington State (where many of you are reading from of course) had never been to New York City before. Aaron, a true Newyorkifile loved showing us around New York and I got a feel for the city that I never had previously.

 
 

This is only the second time I’ve slept over in the city (the first time being last Halloween.) You get a much different feel for the city when you stay over.


We had gotten a great military deal to stay at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue and wow did we feel special! After a long misunderstanding with room readiness, we were upgraded from a standard room at regular price to a much more expensive 24th floor king suite with a Park Avenue view!!!


After this misunderstanding the manager even sent up a lovely apology note, a bottle of wine, and Waldorf Astoria chocolates!


Talk about service!

We did a lot this weekend but here are some of the highlights and of course, some of the food for What I Ate Wednesday! I'm with you Jenn, I am so eager for Fall!!!!


Oh and did we eat!


On Saturday shortly after we arrived we went to lunch at the Russian Tea Room for Aaron’s 22nd birthday celebration.


I had the Salad Oliver (chicken, red potatoes, etc. etc. yum yum)


The ladies had the Chicken Kiev: stuffed with butter, yep.


Aaron had a lovely lamb dish and all the girls got mimosas since it was technically brunch!


This place was so neat! I had never been to the Russian Tea Room before so it was a treat!


This glass bear in their upstairs banquet hall is filled with live fish. yep.


After finally getting our suite (worth the wait) we headed off a few blocks to Central Park and took a lovely carriage ride through the park with a wonderful guide.

 
The city from the back of our carriage.


The next day I started off with coffee and a fruit plate from the room service that Lisa and Marie ordered. Yum!

 
We spent most of the morning and early afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Here are some of the highlights:

 
 
 




Of course those highlights include the cafeteria sushi bar


And the three roll special Aaron and I shared (along with his pasta meal.)

After a trip to the 9/11 memorial and a few places in Midtown including Macy’s we went to a wonderful little Italian restaurant called Luna Piena on East 53rd Street. Finally my great Italian food craving was satisfied!


I had the incredible and very rich mushroom ravioli with truffle oil.


On Monday before our afternoon train back to Philadelphia we took a trip to the infamous F.A.O. Schwarz! I felt like a kid again! I would have liked to go on the Big Piano though! Only $2,500 to have one of your own!!


For lunch we went to the still very new Plaza Food Hall underneath the Plaza hotel.



Even the inside entrance going down was beautiful!

 
 
This place reminding me so much of the amazing London department store food halls via Harrods’s and Selfridge’s. It was beautiful! We finally chose a few things among the several bakeries, sushi bars, my favorite London chocolate shop, La Maison du Chocolat, and the Todd English food hall and restaurant/giant bar.


They even make their own pasta! It was heaven!


I ordered a New England style Lobster Roll with Ginger beer (non-alcoholic) with a pickle and chips. Now shredded lobster here! Just giant lumps of lobster and butter deliciousness on a toasted bun!


Of course no lunch is complete without cake!


Along with Lisa and Marie who were still full from breakfast, we all ordered cake from the famed Lady M Confections.


This unique bakery has been featured on Oprah and in every fashionable magazine etc. with good reason!


Marie and I both had their signature Mille Crepe cake made of 20 layers of paper thin crepes and fresh whipped cream with a caramelized sugar topping a la Crème Brule. Lisa had the very light strawberry short cake which she said was amazing.



I loved the Plaza Food Hall as it made me homesick for London!



After lunch we took once last day time look at Central Park and went back to the hotel to collect our luggage and head to Penn Station.


We had such a great weekend to celebrate Aaron and my birthdays as well as bring Marie to NYC for the first time! We had incredible weather unlike many of our friends at home and I got to see brand new side of New York. Despite all of my school work, I finally got to relax and had an incredible time! Thank you to the two beautiful ladies who took us to NYC, I hope you had a lovely time because we did!


Oh by the way, this is the view from our Park Avenue room!




On a side note, here’s the winner of my giveaway from GoPicnic Ready-to-eat meals via RandomNumber.org!
 
 
Molly, I'll be contacting you for your information to send you your prize!



Check back next week for my name-your-own tea-infused chocolate contest/giveaway from Philadelphia chocolatier, Designs by Francine Artisan Chocolates! You won’t want to miss this one!


Love,

The College Cuisiner

3 comments:

  1. All your eats looks really mouth watering and drool worthy! MMMMMMM and my tummy just growled in response lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was very lucky this weekend usually I have a lot more homemade eats!

      Delete
  2. hope you're having a wonderful time in NYC! i won your giveaway! i'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete