Wednesday, September 26, 2012

WIAW #44: Roasted Acorn Squash

 How is it almost October I ask you? My biggest complaint is that I have yet to be able to wear the black boots I bought in England and practically lived in over there.
Why not hang out on the couch in pajamas?...and your boots. Okay, that’s a little much. Just like me!



This week I had a not very fun paper to write on the presidential election of 2008. And to answer your question, And to answer your question, yes, there is such thing as a fun paper! Well, this was not one of those and you will be hearing about What I drank Wednesday after I get the grade back. Yep me= a little too much information.

Because honestly, “drinking” for me means one glass of wine at home with dinner and then falling asleep. I’m a party animal can't you tell?

 


Now What I Ate this Week since I had some interesting one I must share with you!
I have really tried to reduce our (because let’s face it I make all of Aaron’s meals) sodium intake and continue to add the veggies even though it always proves harder to do so when it gets cold. Lots of squash this season baby! I’ve also been trying to be conscious about getting breakfast in even though it is definitely hard some mornings with time constraints!


Breakfast:
 

Pineapple Chobani (the only one I will allow myself to buy 2%, come on Chobani, why is there no pineapple 0% available at my store?) with mix of granolas and chia seeds in the library amid reading the Great Gatsby.

Coffee- lonnnggggg paper!

Other breakfasts recently:

 
Peach Chobani 0% with a little Trader Joe’s ginger granola, chia seeds, and a fresh peach


 
Saturday: Scrambled eggs with low fat turkey sausage, red potatoes, mushrooms, lots of spinach, and onions. My last fresh peach on the side

Lunch:


Go Picnic Hummus and Crackers box
honey crisp apple, sliced
3 cups water

Highlights of my new favorite Go Picnic box- Hummus and Crackers:


I first discovered this variety and Go Picnic in general from my friend Jennifer who is gluten-free and loves their friendly options. Non-gluten-free people like me love it anyway!

This was my favorite type so far and they sell them at my school now! But I want to go to the grocery store to find them cheaper I think.
 

The crackers and hummus were great along with the Endangered Species supreme smooth dark chocolate square that I’m loving! (I saved the Sweet Perry Orchards Fruit & Nut mix for a snack tomorrow since that’s my favorite from the Turkey stick & crunch box!) I usually don’t like non-refrigerated hummus, but this Wild Garden Hummus dip was delicious and all-natural; I might have to change my mind….
 

I’m loving these dry roasted edamame from Seapoint Farms I got in my Go Picnic box. They are so crunchy and satisfying without making you feel guilty afterwards. And going with my September pledge to reduce sodium, these lightly salted edamame are a good alternative to the very salty snacks I could be eating. My mouth felt a little dry after eating but on a salad or in a trail mix with cranberries they would be perfect!

Other Lunches recently:



Two pieces of leftover homemade veggie-tastic pita pizza and leftover roasted acorn squash (recipe below)



Small bowl of Penne with homemade pesto sauce, fresh tomatoes and parmesan,
apple on the side

Dinner:
 

Homemade Quinoa Chicken and uber-veggie fried rice!
One of our favorite meals-super easy weeknight meal!

Other dinners:
 

Roasted Acorn Squash with homemade pesto sauce, side of quinoa with roasted mushrooms and basil, two tenders of crunchy parmesan chicken topped with Enjoy Life Garlic Parmesan Plentils Lentil chips! (Plentils chips review coming soon!!)


iPhone photo of amazing smoked marlin tacos at Alma de Cuba for Happy Hour on Friday with friends. Hey! These babies are normally $13.50 and we got them for $6 along with a couple other $6 tapas to share. Best way to go out on a college-budget!

I’ve eaten a lot of delicious things since we talked last and I love sharing them with you! If you like what you see, please leave a comment and let me know! I love hearing from readers, it makes my day!

Another goal of WIAW Fall into good habits month is for me to fall into good blogging habits again. I am making myself post a recipe at WIAW every week this month so enjoy!

Today’s recipe:


In honor of the U.S. Open Squash tournament in Philadelphia very soon, here's another type of squash!


Perfect for all of the amazing squash now available at your farmer's market! Neither Aaron or I could believe how good this was and really easy! Everyone with love this roasted squash. It is so nutty and slighlty sweet especially when you carmelize the natural sugars by roasting. The pesto drizzle plays nicely with the sugars and adds a little interest! Plus at less than $1 an acorn squash you can feel good and feed your family on one of these bad boys! Enjoy!



Happy Squashing!

Roasted Acorn Squash with Homemade Pesto Drizzle:
makes large 4 servings (Inspired by Smitten Kitchen)

 

Ingredients:


One large acorn squash, top and bottom cut
1 tsp. Garlic salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper
1/3 cup of Homemade pesto (recipe here)
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. good quality balsamic vinegar (the type that isn’t “too” vinegary)
5 Fresh basil leaves, green and purple if possible, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.

Wash whole acorn squash and then cut off top and bottom of the squash. Carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out seeds and clean out from the squash (set aside so you can make roasted seeds later if desired.) Carefully cut each half of the squash into ¾ inch slices horizontally.

In a bowl toss squash slices with garlic salt, black pepper and two tbsp. of olive oil. Coat the slices evenly.

In two large baking dishes, arrange squash cut side down, flat with a little overlap as possible.

Place baking dishes in the over for 25-30 minutes or until squash is golden brown on the bottom and easily pierces with a fork. Switch the position of the dishes in the oven halfway through cooking time.

While squash is cooking prepare pesto (according to this recipe) or use homemade or pre-prepared version. Mix pesto with remaining two tbsp. olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in a medium bowl.

When squash is ready arrange on plate and drizzle with pesto mixture. Top with fresh basil leaves.


Serve immediately while squash is still warm and crispy.

Enjoy!

P.S. Thanks to everyone who entered the contest from Designs By Francine Artisan Chocolates! We had some great entries and I will announce the winner soon once Francine decides!

Didn’t get to enter? Check out Francine’s website for artisan tea-infused chocolates from the Greater Philadelphia Area-Brandywine Valley!

Love,

The College Cuisiner




3 comments:

  1. Seriously, you are an amazing cook & make fantastic looking meals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a weakness for Pineapple Chobani too! One of my favorites :)

    Thanks for sharing. Happy WIAW...

    ReplyDelete