Thursday, August 11, 2011

Small Town Summer: Berry Good Night

A solo-night in the life of the College Cuisiner:

After an indulgent lunch of two slices of mushroom and onion pizza at my favorite pizza place in Harrisburg, I needed to make up for it.



A night to myself is an extremely rare occasion, where I do not have to conceed to anyone else's food or tv preferences. Ahhhh...

So I decided to make whatever I was craving and watch my guilty summer pleasure, Pretty Little Liars.

On the random Marisa Craving menu tonight was a fruit smoothie, a big salad, and oh yes, honey nut cheerios.

The best way to recap my night is to tell it food by food:

I started with the Smoothie:
















fresh strawberries

















banana

















frozen mango chunks, and orange juice.

With the help of my handy-dandy emersion blender, we were in business.


Then the Salad. Going with my berry theme I wanted this to be a super salad:
















Garden greens, arugula, and bean sprouts

















cherries, strawberries, kalamata olives, blue cheese

















poached egg

















and my easy honey vinaigrette.




Sweet and salty, with lots of fiber.




And gone in 3 minutes flat...

Sticking with the healthy approach and my craving, I went for a bowl of Honey Nut cheerios for dessert. Mmm…I do love that stuff.


None of my meal really requires a “recipe” but I will at least share my favorite fruit smoothie with you.

Strawberry Banana Smoothie: 1 smoothie



Ingredients:

10 strawberries, diced

1 banana, diced

¼ cup of frozen mango chunks

¼-1/2 of orange juice


Directions:


Add strawberries and banana chunks to a bowl.

(If you are using an immersion blender like me, if you are using a glass blender, put all ingredients in the blender.)

Add ¼ cup of orange juice, blend well.


Add mango chunks and blend well.

If the smoothie is too thick, add more orange juice and stir.

Enjoy!
Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment