Friday, August 19, 2011

Small Town Summer: Cherry Lemonade Cocktails

Birthdays are a big deal in my family. Celebrations for one person’s birthday usually lasts a week, meaning the traditional, “don’t tease her, it’s her birthday,” works for 5 days after the fact. Yesterday was mine and it was a great day. We had a very relaxed day and then we went for an amazing dinner at Bricco in Harrisburg. It was one of my best birthdays and boy did I make out! My sister and Aaron's parents came up for the day and the six of us (my mom, Aaron, and myself included) had a wonderful day.

Look for my birthday post tomorrow!

The day before I had a different experience, but made a tasty treat out of it.

Have you ever experienced one of those days where you find yourself running errands from 9 to 5 rather than in the office. Today was that kind of day. Running around sure makes a girl thirsty.
So I decided to put my cherry infused vodka to good use, and make lemonade. So I thought, Cherry Vodka, fresh lemonade…what could be better? I must say, it was delightful. But just with just the two, the mixture was flat and too sweet without any complexity. So we began experimenting with sodas: ginger ale, tonic, seltzer. For me, tonic won out, for the more subtle drinker, try seltzer. Add a lime wedge and stir.


Right now you are probably asking yourself, what about the lemonade? I’m glad you asked, in fact that is the best part. Make a double recipe and the younger kin can have a sip too!
Homemade lemonade is as easy as can be, and it is worth it.
Homemade Lemonade: 5 cups



Ingredients:
1 cup sugar (reduces to ¾ cup)
1 cup water (for simple syrup)
1 cup lemon juice (4-6 lemons)
3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute)
Directions:













Make the simple syrup by heating the cup of sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely, stirring frequently.

While the heating the sugar, juice 4-6 lemons to make one cup of juice.


Add the lemon juice and the sugar syrup into a pitcher. Add 3 to 4 cups of cold water, to make a stronger or weaker lemonade. Refrigerate the lemonade for about half an hour. To make the lemonade stronger, add more lemon juice.



For the Cherry Lemonade Cocktail:



Ingredients:
1 part Cherry Infused Vodka
 2 parts Fresh Lemonade
1-2 parts tonic water or seltzer water
In a glass full of ice, stir the mixture and serve with a lime wedge.

Step by Step:


Add a shot of cherry vodka.

Add two parts lemonade.



Top with tonic or seltzer water.


In honor of my birthday, mix one of these up and enjoy!

Love,
The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment