Monday, August 8, 2011

Small Town Summer: Honey Dijon Vinaigrette

As many of you know, we can't cook every night. Even if you have already gone to a restaurant this week. But last night I was lazy. So over a catch-up marathon of True Blood I made a big no-cook salad.



The salad was one of my favorite combinations: (mixed herbs and greens, fresh tomatoes, sliced boiled egg, fresh grilled corn, and blue cheese crumbles) and the dressing was one of my better creations.

I wanted to make something healthy-ish and delicious to counter-act my need for bread and occasional abuse of the DVR.

Ever since I went to the Cellar Restaurant a few weeks ago I have had a craving to make my own Dijon vinaigrette. There's is a Citrus version but to match the flavors in my salad I made mine with honey and rosemary.


Yum.

I love honey and with my favorite local orchard just minutes away, I never will buy grocery store honey ever again. Not only is local honey so much better tasting, it is so much better for you.

After all, a tablespoon of Local honey a day keeps the allergies away.

So I thought I would share this dressing recipe with you for your very own, lazy no-cook night.

Honey Dijon Vinaigrette: for two salads




Ingredients:

2 tblsp. Honey (Local if you have it)

1 tsp. Dijon Mustard

1 tblsp. Raspberry vinegar

1 1/2 tblsp. Olive Oil

Dash of salt and pepper

1/2 tsp. of Garlic Powder

1-2 sprigs of fresh or dried Rosemary

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl with a fork or whisk. Pour over salad and enjoy!

This vinaigrette is super easy and you can have fun with it by adding your own variations such as:
  • Lemon or Orange zest
  • Different type of vinegar 
  • Flavors to match your salad



For another night I might throw grilled shrimp on this salad for more substance.


Definitely some olives such as the ones from my favorite Italian Market.


Add your favorite bread for a local bakery, like mine from Ciao! A Bakery.

 

Definitely use your favorite summer veggies, like the ones we got from our green-thumbed nieghbor.


Find your favorite flavors and throw it on a salad! Healthy and delicious how can you go wrong?

Just make sure you have enough to share!

What's your favorite summer salad?

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment