Friday, June 29, 2012

Orange Crush Cocktail



I am not always a Summer person. I am so pale I probably am suffering from a vitamin-D deficiency. Don't judge me. But I am always up for a Summer drink.


In my opinion, Fridays should be fun. This is definitely a fun Friday drink. I love cocktails made with fresh ingredients because it really makes the difference between an okay drink and one you would be willing to hand over 12 bucks for. 



This is a vodka drink. If you don't like vodka use a little less than suggested but honestly even my Aunt who doesn't like vodka drank one of these in 2 minutes flat! This is not your standard gag-me-with-a-chainsaw overly fake fruity vodka drink. And to top it off it will not induce a sugar coma, only encourage light and refreshing paradise feeling!


I made this two nights in a row before making it for my mother and aunt at my aunt's house. Smart me forgot my mother's citrus juicer so I had to juice two oranges with a fork. NOT RECOMMENDED. Of course this lead my Aunt to exclaim, "All that work for a cocktail!"


Then she tried it. She no longer complained about the work. After that all I heard was, ohh! and Holy crap that's good!




Two semi-problems with this drink:
  • It goes down wayyyy to fast.
  • You need to juice and zest an entire orange for each drink.


Since navel oranges are about 70 cents right now on average. That's not too bad. And after making one with bottled orange juice it wasn't too bad. But seriously, if you have an orange, get a fork....it's worth it.


Recommended "special" equipment: 
  • Citrus juicer
  • A citrus zester
  • A cocktail shaker

Q: What if I don't have those things?

A: In a pinch a fork, a potato peeler, and bowl work to replace the respective "special" equipment.


Note: You may wonder how I have access to such specialty equipment as a college student. I live with my mother over the summer. And since age 9 I've been the family bartender. Not as bad as it sounds.

Alright hurry up, I want a drink!

Okay, here is it.

Orange Crush Cocktail: 2 drinks





Ingredients:

2 large navel oranges
Peel of 1 of those oranges
1 lime and peel
3 oz. of Absolut vodka  (or your favorite brand)
1-1 1/2 oz.of Triple Sec
1 can of ginger ale
Handful of ice

Directions:

With zester, make two orange twists. With potato peeler peel the rest of the zest in big strips. Place strips in bottom of cocktail shaker and with top of peeler muddle the peels.

Peel about half of zest from the lime. Add and muddle zest in cocktail shaker. Cut lime in half and juice zested half into the shaker. Use other half to cut wedges for garnish.

Cut and juice both oranges and pour into the shaker. Add vodka and triple sec into the shaker.

Add ice to shaker and vigorously shake. In two glasses pour a few ounces of ginger ale. Evenly pour cocktail into both glasses. Add orange twist. Put lime wedge on edge of glass.

Serve immediately and try not to down it too quickly!




See that hammock there? That's where this should be consumed.


Love,


The College Cuisiner


P.s. Don't Forget to enter my giveaway from Tribe hummus and Veggie Patch! The giveaway ends July 9th at 5:00pm. The winners will be announced on July 11th, my one year blog-anniversary!



3 comments:

  1. Great that you linked in, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here’s another hint on juicing without a citrus juicer - if you have a pair of large tongs (obviously large for an orange), stick it between the sides and squeeze, rotate it 90 degrees, squeeze again! It works incredibly well without all the mess and hassle. Favorite trick I’ve learned from my chef of a boyfriend. :]

    ReplyDelete