Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WIAW #28: Healthy Snacking Pledge



The lovely Jenn doth decree that this month is all about healthy snacks. I am definitely not one to argue especially since snacking is my middle name. Actually, my middle name is Claire, but that doesn’t apply to this exercise.



I’m a snacker and because of that I tend to get most of my fruits and veggies in during my snacking. Here are some of my favorites.



 
·         Apples and peanut butter. This is probably my favorite snack: If you have ever been to the Cuisiner before you know that during the school year I practically live on this snack. I had it three times this weekend alone.


·         Chobani Greek yoghurt. Okay, here’s the deal. I’ve been eating Greek yoghurt way before it was cool and wide spread. I’m talking about the plain non-fruited stuff which we’ve been sucking down since 2002. Now I never complain about one of my favorite foods becoming main stream, aka cheaper and more available for me. But hey, didn’t you all say that when your friends started listening to your favorite band of 5 years that they just heard on the radio. But honestly, I want you to embrace the yoghurt for yours and my sake.



·         Hummus and bugs bunny carrots. This became a staple for me in London as it was so easy and inexpensive to pack for long days at Uni. I like big carrots since they are a lot more flavorful than baby carrots…that’s just me.

·         Kind bars. Whole lot of yummy, low glycemic energy. Great for a long day between lunch and dinner. These babies are packed with dried fruit, nuts, coconut and healthy goodness (and occasionally a little chocolate.) My favorite is the Macadamia & Apricot bar.




        Sweet Potatoes: Leftovers are great especially when you can dip those leftover baked or grilled sweet potatoes in hummus or just snack alone. (These were grilled by Aaron of course)

·         Can of V8. Sadly V8 actually has quite a bit of salt in it but I like to think the 2 servings of veggies evens it out. Plus, I don’t eat that much added salt.

·         Guilty: The occasional handful of Cheez-its. I just love these for the occasional treat. (Digestive biscuits too with my tea, sssshhh.)
 
 

As a fan of snacking I also eat the regular meals. Today was a little on the boring side but I was blessed with a weekend of really good eats so I cannot really complain. On that note, here are my eats:

 
Breakfast



Glass of Orange Juice
One English muffin lightly toasted, little-butta
Half grapefruit
Tea


Water in between

Lunch



 
Two veggie tacos from the food court, eh.
Bottle of water

 
Healthy Snack



Black Cherry Chobani

 
Dinner



Baked chicken with Kale over brown rice
Cucumber salad
Glass of Syrah

Glass of water before bed

 
This was a pretty normal day. Lots of work stress, my bff/bridesmaid Renee came over for dinner. Lots of dress browsing and wedding talk. Despite a terrible sinus headache, it wasn’t such a bad day. The only bad thing about this weekends’ delicious eats is that I really didn’t cook at all unlike last week. Oops. I’ll be sure to make something creative this week. I promise.



So on that note you get a Cuisiner Playlist today!


Summer's Almost Here Mix:


Girl on TV- LFO (Oh you know it.)




Sovereign Life Cafe- Keane




Holocene- Bon Iver

Summertime- Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong


Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

 
What did you eat this weekend? Anything good?

8 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I've recently gotten into Brad's Raw Chips. They're amazing kale chips. My favorite flavor is the garlic/vegan cheese one called the "Vampire Killer". It's hilarious but oh so good!

    Also, have you been to Vedge yet in Center City? You'd love it! Just went there last night, and it was amazing. It's all vegetarian/vegan. Literally blew me away. Hope you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I've been wanting to try those kale chips! I'll have to hunt a package down! I haven't been to Vedge yet I've heard about it but I definitely have to give it try. Maybe we can do an office break there sometime in the Fall!

      Delete
  2. Cheez Its get me everytime too ;) But looks like you have a lot of other yummy and healthy stuff to offset the splurge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheez-its = My downfall. Balance, that's what it is all about. But hey I read the box yesterday 150 calories for 27 crackers that's not "too" bad!

      Delete
  3. I love all of your snacks! I have never seen bugs bunny carrots, but they look so cute. Wonder if we have those here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know since I've gotten back I've been able to find them yet but honestly London's vegetable selection is ridiculously diverse. I always thought I was so cool eating kale and arugula and then my French Lettuce guy at my university's farmer's market asked if I ever tried about six other types of greens I didn't even knew existed. London is the best place to eat and cook.
      Let me know if you find these carrots! They are my favorite now!

      Delete
  4. my middle name is claire, too!!! I almost never hear of other people with it. :-) I'm definitely on the greek yogurt wagon. but, before it was so popular, my boss on campus got my straining my own overnight so it would have that thick, creamy feeling. with honey on top. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, I know exactly what you mean. My sister has the most generic middle name: Lee. I bet your own Greek Yoghurt is amazing! I started eating it when I went to France 11 years ago and haven't looked back since. I want to start making/straining my own ricotta. That's the same concept right? Oh, and definitely honey.

      Delete