Saturday, June 2, 2012

Post London: Diamond Jubilee and Strawberry Shortcake Cookies


With the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee this weekend I’ve been feeling very patriotic for my other country. Yes, I love America but if you didn’t know, by birth right via my father I am also eligible for UK citizen if and when I decide to claim it. I’ve been saying I wanted to claim my citizenship for about a year now and I just haven’t done it. Why, not sure. Probably because I have to go down to DC for it. But despite my laziness I am still ubër excited for the Diamond Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend! First Memorial Day then this!

You should all know that this Sunday marks 60 years on the throne for Queen Elizabeth and I for one am very excited. After Queen Victoria she is the second only British monarch to reach this milestone. So why not celebrate with a Sunday Lunch? Now honestly I have failed on part with the planning of this one. I really should be more on top of this and have had a whole hoorah planned. I mean really, this doesn't happen often, as in almost never. No worries, tea, sticky toffee pudding, and some coronation chicken will do the trick.

I’ve gotten some fabulous ideas from the Big Lunch encouraging Brits to make this an affair to remember. Things I want to make: S-T-I-C-K-E-Y  T-O-F-F-E-E  P-U-D-D-I-N-G . Yes, I know it is now June. It is now time to retire my beloved pudding and enjoy something more Summer-appropriate. But hey, it’s my Jubilee lunch and I can do what I want!

I can’t wait! But something I recommend if you would like to hold your own impromptu Jubilee celebration, try these Strawberry Shortcake cookies.




This week I came home from work and immediately jumped into this cookie recipe. I love baked goods but since it is usually delayed gratification, I don’t make my own as much as I should. Well when my church asked for cookie donations for an event this Thursday, I decided to help out. I thought I would make a standard easy cookie but really, how many batches of chocolate chip do you need? Instead I decided to use the farm stand strawberries we had in the fridge. My mother’s refrigerator is too cold so these babies got a little frozen, and then thawed. Not good for raw eating, but perfect for cooking!



There aren’t many non-chocolate Strawberry cookie recipes out there but after a long search I found one from Martha Stewart (who else.) Yes, she posted a strawberry shortcake cookie, which is described as a portable version of the classic dessert. Now this tends to be a very American dessert, but that’s okay because like I said, this is my party.

It worked out that we had exactly 2 cups of strawberries and exactly one pint of heavy cream on hand that were both needed for this recipe. What are the odds? Now, if you don’t find yourself in that predicament, you will have to buy these two items for this recipe. Otherwise, you shouldn’t have to get anything special.


Warning: After mixing up this soupy batter I was worried, but you shouldn’t. These babies turned out lovely. They were moist, not too sweet, and delightfully strawberry without faking it. It’s like eating portable Strawberry shortcake. Score. But then again, you can make this un-portable and plop on a scope of ice cream or whipped cream for good measure. Now if you want to be British, just pour the heavy cream on top (or double cream for the Brits in the room.)

Either way, try these cookies because I will be making these cookies time again over the summer. They are thin and make 3 dozen so they are perfect for parties and cook outs. Now go and make these.


Strawberry Short Cake Cookies: 3 dozen cookies




Ingredients:

2 cups of strawberries, hulled (cutting top off) and cut into small chunks (about ¼ inch)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (around half a small lemon)
½ cup plus 1 tbsp. sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp coarse salt
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
Sanding Sugar, for sprinkling










Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tbsp. sugar in a small bowl.

In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lat 7 tbsp of sugar.

With a pastry cutter (or fork) cut in butter, (helps to rub in with your fingers) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in cream until a dough forms.

Add strawberry mixture to the dough and mix together. (If too soupy it helps to refrigerate for 20 minutes)

With a tablespoon, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets and space evenly. Sprinkle each cookie with sanding sugar.

Bake cookies until golden brown (and pink) for 20-25 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Best served immediately but can be stored in airtight container to Ziploc bag at room temperature.

Cheers!

Love,

The College Cuisiner


P.s. Did anyone see Martha on the Season Finale of Two broke Girls? I’m not an avid watcher but Martha was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment