Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WIAW #30: Grilled Quesadillas and Homemade Salsa

I just realized that last week I repeated "WIAW #28" so actually, we are at 30 already! That's right folks I've been a part of this awesome link party for 30 Wednesdays over a period of 32 weeks (I missed two Wednesdays) that means I've been WIAWing for almost half a year now and you know what...it's been a blast.  I have met some great people along the way and found even more great blogs out there. I can't wait for the next thirty!




Now a little about my eats and my day:






On Saturday we went to one of my favorite places in the world, Knoebel's Family Amusement Park in Elysburg, PA. (More on this later though)



On Sunday Aaron and I went kayaking on the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg, PA. We had such a great time especially after we went to the old fashioned drive in restaurant, Red Rabbit. 

 But let's talk about my weekday eats:

Breakfast



Great Grains Cranberry Almond Crunch cereal with fat-free milk
Cup of strength five coffee

Lunch


Grilled Cheese with three slices of tomato
2 pickle spears
Green Tea

 

Afternoon Snack


Sliced fuji apples with Natural Peanut butter on my way to a mani-pedi with mom


Dinner

Grilled Chicken quesadilla with cheddar, onion, grilled chicken 
with non-fat plain yoghurt and cilantro
homemade salsa and classic tortilla chips

Other "Fruitastic" snacks this week:

 

Fresh local strawberries with ricotta, fresh mint, lemon zest and local honey yummmmm



Fresh peach slices



Fresh strawberries at work with honey



As I don't have a recipe for today's post I thought it would be a perfect time for Aaron to share the AMAZING dinner he made last night for my mom and I. As this was grill centered I thought it would be perfect for the second edition of Grilling with Aaron which I know you are all dying for!

So without further ado, herrrrrrree's Aaron!







Growing up in San Diego, I was exposed to some of the best Mexican cuisine in the United States. Since moving to the East Coast several years ago, I have rarely found really authentic Mexican style salsa. So over the last couple of years I have made a great effort to perfect my own recipe. Salsa can be a great addition to many grilling items including steak or chicken, or one of my favorites, quesadillas on the grill.


This is a great summer meal when the grill is ready and available. The type of grill is up to you but I prefer propane since it tends to be cleaner and more efficient.

But first things first:

No quesadilla is complete without authentic salsa, here’s mine.



Perfect, Mexican Style Salsa: 
makes roughly 2 cups of prepared salsa
I never measure out ingredients exactly, I usually use a half of one jalapeno, at least two cloves of garlic, one half of a white onion, and a good bit of cilantro. The rest of the ingredients are exact. This can also be made ahead of time.


Ingredients:
½ of one fresh Jalapeno pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
Juice of ½ lime
2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
Salt to taste
20 oz. canned plum tomatoes
½ white onion
Sriracha “Rooster” Hot Chili Sauce (5 drops)
Roughly ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Place the tomatoes in a blender first and then pour the rest of the ingredients.
(I would not use more than five drops of Sriracha unless you want REALLY spicy salsa.)

Then slowly mix and sample a little bit until you find a taste balance that suits your personal preference. That is what salsa is all about.

For best results, transefer salsa to a large bowl and refrigerate for at least 30  minutes before serving.
Serve with Corn tortilla chips and freshly grilled quesadillas.

Now for quesadillas on the grill:


Aaron’s Grilled Chicken Quesadillas: 
makes 6 quesadillas




Ingredients:
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Gazebo Greek Salad dressing (about ½ cup or more for marinade)
½ white onion
2 cups of grated Cheddar cheese
Garlic infused Olive Oil
1-2 bell peppers of different colors, roughly chopped
Fresh Cilantro for garnish

Directions:
Marinate thinly sliced chicken with Greek salad dressing.

Place chicken slices on the grill until they are pink in the center (ensure you don’t cook the chicken all the way through so that it does not become overcooked when you place back on the grill in the tortillas). Once mostly cooked, slice into thin strips.

Dip tortillas in garlic infused olive oil and place a tortilla on to the grill.

While on the grill place sliced chicken, cheese, onions, and bell peppers on the tortilla and then place another oil dipped tortilla on top.

After the cheese starts to melt a little, flip the quesadilla so its golden brown on both sides. (make sure the cheese is slightly melted to acts as a “glue” for the quesadilla before flipping)

Serve immediately as quesadillas can get soggy. Serve with homemade salsa, and extra cilantro. (Try plain non-fat yoghurt for a guilt free version of sour cream.)

Enjoy!


Aaron (and Marisa) 

14 comments:

  1. I have chicken for fajitas in the crockpot right now - I may have to do the grilled quesadillas with the meat, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm do it! Love the idea of crock pot fajitas! I would love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That salsa sounds fantastic! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sadly cannot take credit for that one, my lovely fiance Aaron has me beat on true Mexican food! I was sooo good though we ate it two nights in a row!

      Delete
  4. The quesadillas and salsa look killer - definitely going to give em a try! I've never put a quesadilla on the grill before...love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant right? Grilling makes all the difference. I would have never thought of that either. I told him that we need to open up an artisan Mexican food truck.

      Delete
  5. Mmmm....quesadillas are basically my favorite food ever. Your recipe sounds delicious! I am totally craving one now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know mine too! The only problem I found was once you go grilled it is very hard to go back!

      Delete
  6. Oh my. How tasty does all of that look!

    I really want that grilled cheese. My eyes flared up when I saw the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a total craving-driven meal right there. I really wanted tomato soup too, I was a little disappointed but never by the grilled cheese.

      Delete
  7. I feel like you can't have a grilled cheese without some tomatoes :)
    That quesedilla looks fantastic! Love that you made it on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, normally I put the pickles in there too but always tomatoes.

      If you can make quesadillas on the grill, sooooo good!

      Delete
  8. Never thought to make quesadillas on the grill! Way to go Aaron, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know he's brilliant. I'll relay the message to him!

      Delete