Wednesday, June 20, 2012

WIAW #31: Aaron's Garlic Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

Alright readers, I must admit after this weekend I'm getting a little spoiled by my wonderful fiancé Aaron. Not only did we spend a wonderful weekend in Center City Philadelphia for my early birthday present to see Keane (my birthday is in August) but last week he made full scale dinners FOUR TIMES.

So Let's talk about the food We Ate this Weekend:





Don't take this the wrong way baby but since we've been together I think you've made the WHOLE meal maybe once. All I'm saying is I could get used to this. Especially since I just found out that the man I'm marrying is a flipping gourmet! Where did this come from?





Really, I don’t care where I just am happy it is a reality. And that leads me to our amazing weekend. My wonderful fiancé pulled out all the stops for my pre-birthday weekend. He picked me up from work and we went to his mom’s house for Friday night.





Of course it has lots of food involved. He made his Tilapia tacos with homemade salsa (recipe to come.)


On Saturday we drove into the city to stay at the Radisson Warwick. We were starving but since we wouldn’t be able to have dinner before the concert we decided to have a nice lunch…and walk a mile and a half for it.



Totally…worth…it. We went to Amada, Joes Garces’ Spanish tapas bar in Old City. Ever since going to Barcelona I love love real Spanish tapas. 




This place was the real deal.




Because this was my birthday meal we went all out. Aaron got a beer and I ordered a deliciously refreshing Sangria Blanco with apples oranges and rosemary. Perfect for the hot day.



We started off with traditional marinated olives. We were starving and they came out first so it was perfect.




Next we had the Spanish cheese plate. I ordered the cheeses by the condiments which the Garces Trading Company sell by the jar (getting some.) The Garlic dolce de leche was incredible and was so good it outshined even the wonderful truffle lavender honey and the fig preserves. Of course we had to get more bread!




Next we ordered the crab stuffed roasted red peppers topped with almonds. WOWOW. Best thing by far.


Then we ordered two patatas dished because we couldn’t resist. First the Patatas Bravas then Patatas (perfectly crispy fries) with fried chorizo ham with an egg on top and crushed tomatoes on the bottom. Num num.



Aaron also got an ordered of the lamb meatballs with fresh peas in a light creamy sauce. I tried one which was very good but since I don’t eat red meat I didn’t go further.




Finally with a glass of Cava and then coffee we shared a wonderful flourless chocolate cake mouse layers with fresh banana gelato, chocolate sauce and roasted hazelnuts.



So after we rolled ourselves out we sat in the park we walked back, sat in the room and got dressed up to go to Parc on Rittenhouse Square for a 5:30 drink. What a lovely day in June to people watch soooo many weddings! 





Next we got changed into our concert wear (the hotel was right off of Rittenhouse) and walked to 10 Arts Lounge in the Ritz Carlton for a final drink before the concert at the Kimmel Center. Being happy hour their normally $14-15 appetizers were a whopping $5 each…so we got three so we wouldn’t be starving at the concert.


The concert was AMAZING! Keane is even better live and Tom Chaplin really gets into performing. Two and a half hours of standing, jumping andscreaming out every song I definitely got my work out in. So we went for a late night burger for him. Where else than another Joes Garces restaurant, Village Whiskey who was just awarded no. 2 burger in the country. We’ve been here before but he’s never gotten the burger. Aaron says it’s the best he’s ever had out…ever. I enjoyed my duck fat French fries with cheddar sauce and popcorn shrimp. Ah the life.


Then, bed.


This weekend included so many good eats I can hardly keep track. But since this is sensible snacking month here are some of my favorite snacks and Aaron made meals.


Aaron's Fantastic Meals:


Affectionately nicknamed " The Thai Greek" Aaron's Garlic Grilled Chicken Sandwich




Grilled tilapia tacos on grilled tortillas with mango, avocado, and homemade salsa

The amazing grilled quesadillas we posted last week.


(noticing a pattern?)


Snacks:


Hummus like-you-just-don't-care




Bananas and Justin's honey almond butter oh my!


Some of my foodie pen pal treats (sssshhhh it's a secret still!)


water (is that considered a snack?)






Apples with almond or peanut butter






The Good Bean Bars: Chocolate Berry! made with dried chickpeas instead of nuts so the bars is less fat while still being able to be chocolate covered and pull off 140 calories!

But back to those wonderful meals I've been talking about. I'm starting to feel bad that I have so many of Aaron's recipes to share instead of my own! But oh well, I just couldn't hold this recipe off!



This just came to Aaron last week and it turned out beautifully. I think he's having fun with this.



I hope you enjoy another edition of Grilling with Aaron:




Aaron's Garlic Grilled Chicken Sandwich a.k.a. "The Thai Greek": 
4 sandwiches








Ingredients:


4 chicken breasts
4 good sized bakery buns
Greek salad dressing (our favorite is Gazebo Room Greek)
6 oz. block of garlic herb cheddar cheese
Garlic infused olive oil
1/2 small white or yellow onion, sliced very thinly with a mandolin
1 cup of savoy cabbage, sliced very thinly with a mandolin
1/2 cup of shredded purple cabbage
1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
5 drops of Sriracha Thai hot chili sauce
black pepper


Directions:


Prepare cabbage and onions, set aside. Mix mayonnaise and hot sauce together in a small bowl, refrigerate.


Start grill and set to medium heat.


Marinate chicken breasts in Greek dressing and black pepper. If possible refrigerate marinated chicken for at least a half hour (this can be done the morning of as well.)


Cut buns in half and drizzle and rub in garlic olive oil on each side. Cut cheese into slices.


Place chicken breasts right on the hot grill. Allow to cook until brown on outside until no longer pink in the middle but still juicy (about 10, no more than 15 minutes.) 


Flip chicken after 5 minutes and add desired slices of cheese to the top being careful that cheese does not drip on the grill.


Before chicken is finished place buns open faced on the grill for no longer than 5 minutes until lightly toasted.


When finished place a grilled chicken breast on a toasted bun. On other half of bun smear a small amount of sriracha mayonnaise. Top chicken with a little sliced onion, savoy and purple cabbage on top with a little cracked black pepper. 


Serve with grilled potatoes or your favorite side.


Enjoy!


Love,


Aaron and Marisa



7 comments:

  1. Aw, everything looks tasty - especially the sangria and tapas - mmmmmm! Looks like you guys had a great time! Happy early birthday hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It was definitely a great food weekend! The tapas were so good!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I definintely need to make that sandwich! And that cake looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely do! It was so good I had two! .....so was the cake.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks delicious! I have been wanting to try the Good Bean bars forever now!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are really good. The dark chocolate and berry one is REALLY fruity if you like that.

      Delete
  4. Hi there,
    My name is Newell Rinehart, and I’m the Website Designer/Social Media and Marketing Coordinator for Gazebo Room Salad Dressings. I wanted to contact you to let you know how much we loved your blog post about our products, and to ask if it would be alright if we add a link to our website to direct some of our website visitors and social media followers to your blog to check it out. If you are interested, we would also love to connect with you on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest (we hold contests to give away a year’s supply of Gazebo Room twice a year!). If you’re interested in this opportunity, please email me at nrinehart@gazeboroom.com.
    https://www.facebook.com/GazeboRoomSaladDressing
    https://twitter.com/GazeboRoom
    http://instagram.com/gazeboroom
    http://www.pinterest.com/gazeboroom/
    Sincerely,
    Newell Rinehart
    Gazebo Room Social Media and Marketing Coordinator.

    ReplyDelete